Situations where an antigen test might be helpful:
SARS-Cov-2 PCR SWAB Antigen Test, analysed by The Doctors Laboratory
- Patients returning from abroad, from both UK quarantine exempt and non-exempt countries, such as recently added Spain.
- Patients needing to travel to countries which require a confirmed negative antigen result (these are currently, Dubai, Austria, Barbados, China, Seychelles, Hawaii, Alaska, Iceland, Czech Republic, the list is growing weekly, the time requirements vary but many suggest testing up to 72 hours before travelling, please check with the relevant country website)
- Companies wishing to bring staff back to work
- Family members wishing to visit self-isolating relatives
- Healthcare workers, clinicians and other staff, who are coming into close contact with patients.
- Other higher risk occupations where regular close contact with people is necessary.
- Patients presenting with symptoms of COVID 19, including cough, fever loss of smell/taste, fatigue and headache. However, we are asking patients not to attend the practice if they suspect they have current symptoms of COVID 19, they can request a home collection sample kit from us or see if they can get a testing appointment via the NHS.
- Occasionally I may request an antigen test on a patient who presents with symptoms where COVID 19 is a possibility, as part of differential diagnosis.
Situations where an antibody test might be helpful:
SARS-Cov-2 IgG Antibody serology (blood) Test, analysed by The Doctors Laboratory
If you have had symptoms of COVID 19 and want to know if you have developed antibodies.
We have completed 157 Sars-CoV-2 antibody serology (blood) tests (22.7.20) and found a positive result in 12.7% of patients. Whilst this means that those positive patients have definitely had the novel coronavirus and produced antibodies, we suspect that others may well have had the virus but not produced antibodies, probably because their immune systems produced an adequate T cell response (the innate immune system) and was able to kick out the virus before the immune system activated the acquired immune system antibody response.
The cost of the COVID 19 tests (correct at August 2020)
- SARS-CoV-2 IgG ANTIBODY clinic sample (serology) blood test and ID certification, including a phlebotomy/sample taking appointment at The Health Equation £130 and includes an ID check and certification from The Health Equation.
- SARS-CoV-2 IgG ANTIBODY home sample capillary (finger prick) blood test, including next day courier of the kit to your home and postage paid Royal Mail 24 tracked return to the TDL lab £95. THIS TEST IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE.
- SARS-CoV-2 PCR ANTIGEN SWAB clinic sample test and ID certification, including a sample taking appointment at The Health Equation £195 and includes an ID check and certification from The Health Equation.
- SARS-CoV-2 PCR ANTIGEN SWAB home sample collection test including next day courier of the kit to your home and postage paid Royal Mail 24 tracked return to the TDL lab £165.
- Urgent samples. It can also be arranged for a TDL medical courier to bike urgent sample collection kits to a person, wait for the sample and then returned to TDL ASAP, this is an extra charge and quoted separately, depending on which part of the UK you live.
If you wish to book an antigen or antibody test please email